Third EAGE Eastern Africa Petroleum Geoscience Forum
Managing Subsurface Risk in Finding and Developing Hydrocarbons
Welcome to Mozambique
Officially known as the Republic of Mozambique is a country in Southeast Africa bordered by the Indian Ocean to the east, Tanzania to the north, Malawi and Zambia to the northwest, Zimbabwe to the west, and Swaziland and South Africa to the southwest. It is separated from Madagascar by the Mozambique Channel to the east.
Location: The capital and largest city is Maputo.
Climate: Mozambique has a tropical climate with two seasons, a wet season from October to March and a dry season from April to September.
Currency: The official currency is the New Metical which replaced old Meticals at the rate of a thousand to one.
Natural Resources: In 2012, large natural gas reserves were discovered in Mozambique, revenues which have the potential to dramatically change the economy.
Language: Portuguese is the official and most widely spoken language of the nation, spoken by 50.3% of the population.
All visitors travelling to Mozambique must obtain a visa from one of the Mozambican diplomatic missions in their home/resident country unless they come from one of the visa exempt countries. It is however recommended that you obtain your visa in advance from the Mozambique High Commission/Embassy.
Citizens of the following 8 countries can visit Mozambique without a visa for up to 3 months.
- South Africa
Countries in which Mozambique has Consular Representation (Embassy / Consulate):
- South Africa (Nelspruit, Johanesburg, Durban, Pretoria, Cape Town)
- Botwana (Gaberone)
- Lesotho (Maseru)
- Malawi (Lilongan, Blantyre)
- Swaziland (Mbabane)
- Tanzania (Dar Es Salaam, Zamzibar)
- Zambia (Lusaka)
- Zimbabwe (Harare, Mutare)
- Angola (Luanda)
- Ethiopia (Addis Ababa)
- Kenya (Nairobe, Mombasa)
- Egypt (Cairo)
- United Arab Emirates (Dubai)
- Portugal (Lisbon)
- Italy (Rome)
- Russia (Moscow)
- Germany (Berlin)
- Belgium (Brussels)
- United Kingdom (London)
- Spain (Madrid)
- France, Paris)
- India (New Delhi)
- Lebanon (Beirut)
- Thailand (Bangkhok)
- USA (Washington, New York City)
- Brazil Brasilia)
- Cuba (Havana)
- Vietnam (Hanoi)
- China (Beijing)
- Japan (Tokyo)
All visitors should completed and signed a Visa Application form obtained from your nearest consulate or embassy.
- Valid passport with at least six months validity and at least three (3) or more blank pages.
- Photocopy of the main passport page(s).
- Two (2) colour passport photos.
- A document to confirm the applicant’s address during his/her time in Mozambique. This may be either a Hotel booking confirmation or an invitation letter from the host in Mozambique, which is required if the applicant will be staying at a private home with his/her family or friends. The invitation letter/Term of Responsibility must be signed by the host and authenticated by an official Notary.
- Applicants must have a return ticket and adequate funds for the duration of their stay in Mozambique.
- Visitors with Tourist Visas are not allowed to engage in any employment (including voluntary work) while in Mozambique.
- For Business Visas it is also required a letter of invitation from the official or business institution in Mozambique, or a Term of Responsibility from an official or business institution in their country of residence if travelling for private business or volunteer activities.
- For family and friends Visiting Visas, a Term of Responsibility is required. It has to be signed by the host and authenticated by an official Notary.
For more detailed information please contact your nearest Mozambique Embassy or Consulate.